Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Find.....




Warninglid - Julia Greenall's stableyard....... the first part of this story is so quickly told...

Firstly I was introduced to the light bay - lovely; then to the mare - lovely; then to the grey - love at first sight.I was completely hooked.

This little dark grey horse was very poor in condition but had such a lovely eye I felt an immediate bond. He was described as the calmer of the 3 (good) but with very little experience albeit willing. I watched him being ridden first and the rider was clearly very good so I was a little apprehensive but after the events of the morning I was hoping a little more luck was on my side.

I rode for a while in the school, this little grey horse (ok so he stood about 15.2hh at the time but he was so poor he has to be described as little) had basically no idea and was scared stiff. He couldnt turn off the leg on either rein and couldnt understand what the contact was all about. This is a reflection of myself as a rider, as I said I saw him ridden but to feel him ridden by me was quite a different thing. I never saw myself buying a green unschooled, inexperienced horse but without a shadow of a doubt I was hooked.

I arranged to hack him out that coming Friday and kept my fingers crossed for the next 3 days that he wasnt sold.The hack was 30 minutes or so, just in walk and trot as the ground was so hard a canter wasnt possible. He was sharp and so worried but so genuine that I was just as hooked. I promptly went home to ask around for a trainer to come to see him so that I had an expert second opinion on whether he was right for me, and indeed even worth buying.

At some point in the horse buying process you really do have to get real you see; I have seen so many riders who own difficult horses I was determined that although I was completely obsessed by this little man, I wanted an honest opinion from someone who didnt know me so that the whole process could be completed objective.

Kathy Gentles agreed to come and see him on the Sunday that week. A rider at the stables rode, then me. Kathy saw his sharpness and worried looks, ran a hand over every part of his body and declared that seemed a kind horse, suited to me and very much worth buying

The deal was struck and all that remained was for me to arrange a 5 stage vet check for this handsome, skinny, Connemara X gelding known to the stables as Herbie.

Herbs was vetted on 29th January 2004 after a night of very heavy snow during which time I spent hours panicking that he wouldnt be able to be seen. Fortunately the school wasnt frozen and he passed the vet with flying colours

Herbs came home on 31st January 2004.